Friday, May 16, 2008

Rest in Peace Robert Mondavi

Robert Mondavi, a man I've met on several occasions, a pioneer in Napa Valley wine, has passed away today at his home in Yountville, California. Mondavi was instrumental in putting California wines on the global map. It may be a good time to uncork a bottle of Mondavi's Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, lift a glass up and say thanks.

I can't say for certain, but I suspect he also had a small part in the world's acceptance of America's crafted beers. After all, once they realized we could make world-class wine, I'd assume some barriers were broken down for those early adopters across the pond.

In case you didn't know, I had thought I'd be more involved in the wine industry when I was younger - it was quite a passion of mine before beer. I certainly have a soft spot for Mondavi's products.

Mondavi was 94.

Read More: SacBee