Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Deschutes 20th Birthday Party: A Black & White Affair

If you've listened to our show or read this on a regular basis, you'll know that we love Deschutes. This Eastern Oregon craft brewery is celebrating 20 freaking years in business this year, and to show they know how to party, they're going Black & White.

The White? 20th Anniversary Wit. I tried this beer back in March, in Portland, on live TV - man, it was good and refreshing. Like a good wit should, this had essence of orange, coriander and cracked pepper. Look for this in 22-ounce bottles next month.
The Black? OK, I've been hearing about this for over a year and I really can't tell you how excited I am to see it, smell it, taste it, savor it. Black Butte XX! Chances are, if you know one beer from the guys at Deschutes, it's Black Butte Porter. It's the beer I reach for when I am with family, seriously. The XX is an Imperial version of Deschutes' flagship porter - with additions of Theo Chocolate cocoa nibs, Bellatazza coffee and some time on Stranahan's whiskey barrels! This will also be in 22-ounce bottles, but these bottles will be dipped in wax and should be a visually stunning tribute to the beer inside.

So, who among us will be planning a Black and White Affair to honor 20 years of great beer? You can bet I am.