Thursday, April 10, 2008

Monday 4/14 In Sacramento Only

For a few moments today the world slowed down, the heavens opened and light shone upon my cell phone, then it rang. It was Peter Hoey, brewmaster at Sacramento Brewing Company, and he had news that he was certain I'd be interested in. What can I say, sometimes I'm obvious. If you live in Sacramento, grab your day planner, you're going to want to write this down. You ready?

On Monday, April 14th, Firestone Walker's Saucer Full of Merkins will be pouring at Sacramento Brewing Company's OASIS location, on Sunrise and Madison. It will be on tap when they open and I doubt it's going to last all that long. In fact, I'll be there Monday because I will be out of town the rest of the week, I can't count on it still being available when I get back.

So, what is Saucer Full of Merkins? It is a blended beer, to begin, a mix of Oatmeal Stout (Velvet Merkin) and Saucer Full of Secrets - the beer that defies definition. The ratio on this is 80% Merkins, 20% Saucer, making this incredibly smooth, creamy, slightly roasted with a long lasting aftertaste that is nothing short of wonderful. Really, it's dessert in a glass. If you really want to learn more about Saucer Full of Secrets, read the notes and see the pictures of the guy who made it, as a guest brewer, at Firestone Walker. Of course, you can also learn more about SFoM at his site too. In case you were wondering, only 80 kegs of this ever existed.

I don't know what the asking price is on this, but I know it will be worth it.

If you need more encouragement to get to SBC's Oasis on Monday, just remember that the following day is Tax Day - you could use a beer by then. Don't forget, they also have all you can eat ribs on Monday and Tuesday, with a sauce made from their Red Horse Ale - it's so good.

Now, there is a second keg of Saucer Full of Merkins in Sacramento, also in the trusted hands of SBC, but Peter was not certain if it would be on tap at their other location on Monday or not. You can call if it's closer, there's a good bet it will be on. However, if you want to play it safe, be at Oasis Monday after work.