Wednesday, April 30, 2008

California Gets Craft Beer From Mexico

When I was in San Diego I was happy to finally meet the owner and brewer from Cucapa Brewing in Mexicali, BC, Mexico. I've have had some of their beer in the past and each time walked away impressed at how good it was. I admit I have held certain assumptions about the quality of beer in Mexico, buying the imports we get can do that to you. You can imagine then how happy I was to learn that California had begun receiving good craft beer from south of the border. I found these products in San Diego's Whole Foods Market.

There are three brands Cucapa is importing, Obscura, Honey and Chupacabras. I won't pretend to know more than the names, I just don't. I will relay that their brewer worked with a guy named Tomme Arthur for a number of years, so you can assume he knows quality and how to achieve it.