Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Judging a Book...

For all of you who couldn't get past the somewhat generic looking cover of All About Beer Magazine - well, shame on you first and foremost. For the years I have subscribed to this magazine I have maintained it is the best 'craft beer' publication out there with regards to content. The one drawback seems to have always been appearance, a sad statement for those who love the beers with obscure labels. Well, if you've fallen into the category of people who have simply overlooked the magazine I have good news - All About Beer has undergone cosmetic surgery and now looks as slick as anything you'd find on the shelf.

I don't know why they did this, but I suspect the introduction of DRAFT and Beer Advocate in the last year help prod redesign. For the purest out there, you'll be happy to know this new look hasn't come at the cost of content. In fact, the September issue has a wonderful piece on Pubs and Publicans and still features works by Randy Mosher, Fred Eckhardt, Charlie Papazian and those you've come to admire and look up to.

Confession

As much as I have enjoyed this magazine over the years, I admit this 'seemed' a bit nicer overall. Yeah, I guess I too am a sucker for slick looks - or, as my friend Tyrone Wells sings...
beauty makes me stop and stare just like any other man
So, congratulations to AAB on their new and improved look. I hope this brings the results you were hoping for. Oh, if you are not yet a subscriber - it is only 19.99 a year if you order online. I don't know of anyone with discount links like we have for Draft and BYO - but twenty bucks ain't nothing.