Philadelphia is a better beer town than I would have ever guessed - and I still haven't been to Monk's or Standard Tap!
My morning started way too early, as the cabs and city folk began making their noise at 6:30 this morning, waking me from a poor night's sleep at what felt like 3:30! I tried to go back to sleep, I really did, but after 20 minutes of looking out the window I sprang up, showered and hit the town. My first lesson: Philly is colder at 7am than Sacramento.
I walked around and played tourist for a bit, seeing buildings and statues erected for people I'm sure I should have known; sadly, I didn't. After a few quick hours, it was back to the hotel and time to start my day in beer. I'd love to give you a detailed account, but at this point I think I'll just pass on a few notes about the places I went to today.
- Nodding Head Brewery: Was there an hour before they opened, spoke with Gordon and Enrique for a bit (head and asst brewers) and sampled their Berliner Weisse and Saison; both of which were excellent. Most notable item? A masher that is unlike any I've seen before! May be more on that in days to come.
- Good Dog: A beautiful little place with great service, great beer and great locals. I spoke with a couple patrons there, had a great time as their lunch crowd shuffled in. Notable? My very first Yuengling, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, I didn't really mind it at all, just a tad corny for me.
- McGlinchy's Pub: Smoky little dive bar with one good tap, a fun bar keep and free WiFi.
- Jose Pistoles: Incredible place! Only open six months, the place is operated by a former Monk's guy, people who know beer and do a wonderful job getting great beer in.
- A cool little bottleshop next door - they had He'Brew Jewbelation 8!
- McGillans Tavern: Oldest in the city, they do a wonderful job at bringing in good beer and not being ashamed to serve what they want to. Owner Chris was a great man to hang out with a bit.
- Tria Cafe: Great appetizers, amazing beers for only six taps, appropriately priced. There's a whole story in here, just not tonight.
- Johnny Brenda's: Joe Sixpack took me here, and it rocked! Great dive bar, good clams and wonderful upstairs area!
- Grey Lodge: Also with JSP, this was tops in the trip along with Jose Pistoles!