Thursday, December 20, 2007

21 Debate Moves Forward

Just ran across this story about a Rep in Kentucky, David Floyd, wanting to lower the drinking age from 21 to 18 for military personnel. I don't see this going anywhere, but it's interesting to see the conversation even taking place. In his own words:
“What do I say to a soldier who comes back from Iraq, having served his country and asks me if he could have a beer?” said Rep. David Floyd of Bardstown. “And I just could not possibly imagine myself saying, ‘No, son. You're too young.'”

This week, Floyd pre-filed a bill making it legal for military personnel 18 years or older to drink. That would apply to bars and the purchase of beer or liquor at stores.
While I believe 18 year old service men and women should be afforded the right to drink, I disagree with giving those in service a 'pass' as it were in this regard while non-service men and women of the same age aren't included. Hopefully the day will come with all adults have the same rights to alcohol, or we simply redefine what "adult" really means.